February 7, 2012

Tuesday’s Kitchen Tip {Chop with a Smile}

Pin It

Today I miraculously had spare time so I decided to chop up several onions, garlic cloves, and bell peppers. This will save me oodles of minutes in the kitchen later on this week. Most of the recipes I cook require sauté onions and garlic. Having prepared ahead means less stress and frustration, which equals a happier Momma!

Store in air tight containers and use within 3 days or less.

clip_image001

Tips for cutting onions -

Quarter and soak onions in ice cold, salted water for up to an hour. Soaking the onions may relieve the strong taste and odor.
(My grandmother always used this method)

Another suggestion is to cut a fresh lemon in half and rub the lemon on your cutting board. The lemon should help tame the fumes of the onion while chopping.
(Advice from a military man, my husband)

You can always use the tip from The Help and place a matchstick between your teeth; the fumes will be caught in the match head and there will be no crying.

One more tip is to use a small fan if you've got one; it will help circulate the air and remove the fumes from your eyes.

Make sure you always use a sharp knife!

Hope you found today’s tip helpful because
I want everyone to be able to
chop an onion with a smile!
Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful, blessed day!
-Audra

4 comments:

  1. Love finding a great new blog to follow. I'm following you now with the new Linky tool, so follow back so we can stay connected, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chef that used to work behind the scenes at food network told me to light a candle while chopping onions and put it by the cutting board. It works great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the great tips...I HATE chopping onions!! I'll have to try some of these ideas {probably not the match in the teeth...} Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! And, I love it when I pre-chop my veggies! Saves me SO much time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...