June 20, 2012

Watermelon {my favorite summertime treat}

waterrmelon

Watermelon... oh how I love watermelon! I look forward to this wonderful fruit every summer. Not only is this fruit tasty and refreshing, but it is so good for you! Check out these
fun, food facts about watermelon:
- only 46 calories per cup, balled
- high in potassium
- high in vitamins A and C
- the high content of water makes watermelon a great snack option for weight loss
- a wonderful thirst quencher on a hot summer day
- low in sodium
- low in saturated fat


When choosing a watermelon look for :
- dark green color
- heavy weight for the size of melon
- look for the "ground spot"
- the bottom of the watermelon should have a yellow, creamy spot indicating it sat on the ground while soaking up all the vitamins from the nice, warm sun

Need watermelon recipes, here is a few of my favorites...

Watermelon Lemonade
Watermelon Lemonade_thumb[1]


Cucumber Watermelon Salad
watermelon-cucumber-salad-01

Watermelon Popsicles
Watermelon-popsicles-934x1024

What are you doing with your watermelon this summer?

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I LOVE watermelon, too...and I'm going to the store because you just sparked my appetite! Do you know the story behind knocking on a watermelon to see if it has a "hollow" sound? It's supposed to tell you if it is a good one but I don't understand it. Enjoy your snack!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered how to find a good watermelon. I guess I need to stop avoiding the ones with the yellow side (which is what I've been doing) Thanks for educating me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought watermelon for this weekend, I think I'm going to try a new idea my aunt cut out of a magazine!! Hope it looks as yummy as yours!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the education! We love watermelon and we usually eat it just cup up out on the back porch! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...